I jokingly call my gym my home away from home. I’m there a lot, so I see a lot, and I hear a lot. Mostly it’s friendly gym conversation, but other times it’s like some comments forget to go through the ol’ brain-filter before getting spewed out. Sometimes they’re even directed at me (I can take it, I can take it.)
From my time working in the gym, I’ve learned a few things one should never utter inside the premises.
7 Things You Should Never Say in the Gym
1. “I noticed when you were on the hip adductor/abductor machine that…”
STOP right there. I don’t care if you were going to say your tag is sticking out of their shirt. You never talk about watching someone on this aesthetically awkward machine, mmk?
2. “Working out sucks! I’m only here because I pigged out on ice cream last night.”
By saying this you’re dragging anyone else in earshot down with you. Remember not to bum anyone’s flow, right?
3. “I’m going to go do some bicep curls in the squat rack.”
Squat racks are for…..right! Squats! And bench press. NOT for curls.
4. To a trainer: “all the trainers I know are training for competitions.” (Or any other generalization about trainers, for that matter)
Well, I’M NOT.
5. “Feel my pecs.”
6. “ARGGHHHHH!@#!@!!!!!” *bench press*
No need to yell/scream/bark during every.single.rep. Yelling doesn’t make it any easier, I promise!
7. “On Mondays I do biceps and back, Tuesdays, chest and triceps, Wednesdays quads and calves, and when I do it, I do it this way….”
Sorry, man, not here at the gym to hear about your workouts
Luckily, I haven’t heard much worse than the comments from what I can remember, but I’m sure there are far worse things that can be said at a gym.
YOUR TURN: What’s the weirdest thing you’ve heard/experienced at the gym?
Not weird, but I also don’t like when someone thinks it’s a good time to hold a 45 minute conversation. I’ve definitely had to cut my workout short because of chatty Cathy’s before.