2010: It Will be what YOU Make of It
Good morning, bloggy friends 😀
Now that Christmas has come and gone, the New Year is just around the corner. I can’t believe it’s this week! 2009 really sped on by…
In retrospect, this year has been such a pivotal year for me. Even though I never actually sat down and wrote out my “resolutions” for 2009, I’ve accomplished so much I never thought I would. I’ve had a handful of “defining” years, but I feel as if I’ve really grown into who I really am…and finally feel comfortable in my own skin. I’ve been soul-searching for the past few years now, and this year, I finally feel like I found it 😀
Some accomplishments that I’ve made in 2009 that I’m very proud of:
- Landed the promotion that I fought, trained, and worked so hard for, even though everyone thought I was crazy for taking the risk of quitting my current position (a requirement for even being considered for the position) in hopes of escalating to be a project planner.
- Started the Couch to 5K program, for the second time, but this time made it all the way to 3.1 miles
- Built my very own food and fitness/healthy living blog (which, along with reading all of your inspirational blogs, helped me accomplish a number of the goals below)
- Raced in multiple 5K’s, with a best time of 26:46
- Raced in my first 10K and then another one a month later
- Celebrated my first wedding anniversary
- Took a class at my local community college to become an ACE certified personal trainer
- Made the decision to become a vegetarian
- Passed the ACE exam and thus became a certified personal trainer
Wow…it feels really good to write all that out. Sometimes I feel like we focus on where we want to ultimately be so much that we tend to forget about how much we’ve accomplished in the mean time. We deserve to take a time out to reflect on all of the progress we’ve made so far in our journeys. While the ultimate goal is a very important piece, the journey to those goals is just as important. I mean, if you told me one year ago that I would be able to race 6.2 miles (and run 8!) I wouldn’t believe you. And if someone said I’d become a certified personal trainer, I would have called their bluff!
With that said, this year, I did take some time to write out goals for 2010.
First, a couple pointers I follow when making goals:
- State a long term (12 month) goal, and then list one or more ways on how you plan to succeed at that goal. Breaking your goals down into mini goals can have a tremendous impact on the success of the goal.
- Make your goals the SMART way. Make them specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely.
So, without further ado…
My 2010 Resolutions + How I Plan on Meeting these Goals
2010 Goals – the what
- Become a more patient and calm person
- Practice yoga 2-3 times per week
- Come up with a mantra (I really like Averie’s “I have all the time in the world” mantra)
- Sticking around after classes/meetings/appointments and chit chatting for a few minutes instead of booking out the door to the next appointment/thing going on.
- Have an established base of clients in personal training
- Prospect gyms/studios around the area – sign on with one
- Make business cards to hand out at various events/appointments
- Be OK with not cooking a new dinner each night/blogging each night (this part time job will take up time.)
- Attain my ACE Group Fitness certification
- Sign up for/Inquire about Heartland Group Fitness class
- Continue to try out as many group fitness classes at my gym as I can
- Run a half marathon
- Pick a race in the late spring/early summer and start training
- Train three days a week: short, easy run, short, hard interval run, long run
- Run a 5K in under 26 minutes
- Keep up on interval running for a distance of 3.1 miles focusing on getting to 8:30 miles
There you go. Now it’s in writing. Public writing. Pressure’s on 😉 As you can see, some of the goals are more abstract, like becoming more patient, while others are concrete (run a half marathon.) I also plan on going to church more often, and being a nicer person in general, but those are typically resolutions I aim for every year.
What is your #1 goal for yourself in 2010?
I hope everyone has a terrific Tuesday! Do you all have a short week this week? I’m off Thursday at noon for a 3 and 1/2 day weekend! Woot! Hopefully going to celebrate with some friends on NYE! 😀