I mentioned on Twitter earlier that the Body Pump class I took last night really kicked my booty! It seems like every muscle in my body is sore (a good sore though.) I know I pushed myself, but dang! I guess I’ve been slacking in the strength-training department, as the last time I did any was at last week’s Tuesday Body Pump session.
So I began thinking that today would really be a nice day for yoga. However, today is a scheduled 5 mile run that I really would like to do. Then it came to me! They give me breaks at work – why not find some good desk stretching exercises?
I found the following at yogajournal.com:
Six Stretches to do at Your Desk
1. Side Stretch: Standing up with your arms above your head, use your right hand to pull on the top of your left wrist and stretch your torso to the right to stretch your side. This felt wonderful for my wrists and abs!
2. Shoulder rolls: one shoulder at a time, bring the shoulder up to the ear and then back around toward your back and back down.
3. Neck Stretch: Inhale; exhale and bring the left ear toward the shoulder and hold. Do the same for the right ear.
4. Open Chest Stretch: Sit on the edge of chair and interlace your fingers behind you; lean forward and lift your arms upward while pulling your shoulders away from your ears
5. Chair Twist: bring your legs to the right arm of the chair so you’re sitting diagonally on the chair. Reach your right arm up and then over to the left side of the chair, trying to grasp the back. Repeat this on the left side.
6. Back and Shoulder Release: Sit on the edge of your chair with your feet spread apart. Push your forearms on your inner thighs, feeling the stretch in your back. Then stretch your arms all the way towards the floor with your ribs resting on your thighs and armpits toward your knees. Cross your arms with each hand on its opposite knee. For a deeper stretch, extend arms to the floor, and then slowly round your back up to seated position.
I did these stretches mid way through the afternoon today, and they helped immensely! I could still use a good hour plus yoga session, but this was a great “tide me over!”
Run it, Run it
Right after work today, I dashed home and changed to get ready for a 5 mile run. My goal for this run was to run it at a nice easy pace of around 9:45. Here’s how I did:
Ran 5 miles in 47:40 with an average pace of 9:32!! Woo hoo! My “easy pace” is getting faster and faster
Mi. 1: 9:30, Mi. 2: 9:19, Mi. 3: 9:30, Mi. 4: 9:37, Mi. 5: 9:34
Hopefully the run worked out some of the kinks from pumping all that iron yesterday
Doesn’t today feel like Thursday?! I seriously think tomorrow should be Friday. Hate when that happens! Oh well, at least we’re past the humpty dump! (Did I really just say that??)
Do you have any signature exercises you do if you’re stuck at a desk all day?